Thursday 19 April 2007

Week Six
Information Management continued

In today's lecture it was a continuation of last weeks lecture which was also on Information Management. I learnt a few new things about Bibliographies and Reference Lists, and what is and how to use End Note.
  • I learnt that there is a difference between a Reference list and a Bibliography. A reference list is the things you have made direct references too, so the places you have got quotes from. And a bibliography is a list of all the materials you use, to gather your information for your work.
  • End Note, is a database that is on all the computers on campus at Uni. It can be used as a reference manager, and a Bibliography maker.
  • End note is a flat-file database system, so the only content that is displayed when searching is what is in the chosen fields.
  • As students at ECU, we should use End Note because it can help us keep track of a growing number of references.
  • We were told it can be a hard program to master so not to expect to understand it first time.
  • It may be easier to master if we could each figure out our own routines to using the program and seeing what is easiest and most comfortable to us.

Tutorial Task

In today's Tutorial, we had to make our own End Note Library. Below is a screen shot of the library I got when I entered all the references from today's task.



I don't think I have fully mastered the use of the program but all it is is practice. So, I feel that if I keep on top of everything I should pick it up fairly quickly.

No comments: